John Bunce Lea was born about 1844 in Lower Mitton, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, England as the third child of James Bunce Lea and Ann Davis. He had three siblings, namely: Charles Bunce, Sarah Ann, and Elizabeth. When he was 26, he married Harriot Caroline Barnet Batkin, daughter of William Batkin, on 26 April 1870 in St Stephens Claines Worcester.
John Bunce Lea lived in Worcestershire, England according to the 1851 and 1861 censuses. He arrived in Quebec and Montreal, Quebec on 13 Jul 1870 and was still living there according to the 1881 and 1891 Canadian censuses.
John Bunce Lea and Harriot Caroline Barnet Batkin had the following known children:
- Frederick W Lea was born in 1863 in England.
- Emma E. Lea was born in 1867 in England.
- John E. J. Lea was born in 1869 in England.
- Louisa Lea was born in 1869 in England.
- James Lea was born in 1870 in England.
- Charles H. Lea was born in 1871 in Quebec, Quebec. He married twice it would seem. The first time to Emma Perry on 20 February 1894 in Guildhall, Essex, Vermont, USA. And the second time to Jennie C Perry on 29 September 1902 in Lancaster, Coos, New Hampshire, USA. He died before 1930.
- Florence Isabella Lea was born in around June 1871 in Quebec, Quebec. She married George Emery Cilley on 03 October 1893 in Colebrook, Coos County, New Hampshire, USA.
- Alberta A Lea was born around Marche 1873 in Canada.
- Ada A. Lea was born in 1874 in Quebec, Quebec.
- Laura A Lea was born on 10 December 1875 in Quebec, Quebec. She married Benjamin Pierce Bullock on 28 December 1904 in Lancaster, Coos, New Hampshire, USA. She died in Caledonia, Vermont, USA.
- William B. Lea was born in 1879 in Quebec, Quebec.
- Walter Alexander Lea was born on 24 April 1885 in Quebec, Quebec. He died in Los Angeles, California, USA.