Monday 28 December 2020

Genealogy Goals for 2021

I haven't been as focused on genealogy during 2020 as I would have liked to have been even though I keep buying subscriptions and then feeling guilty because I am not making use of them.

So I Googled family history new year resolutions, genealogy goals etc. and whilst there were a few interesting ones they didn't quite hit the mark for me.

I know I want to make a habit of doing regular research (not sure where I will find the time but committing to the idea is a first good start). I also need to do some tidying up and make use of the above-mentioned subscriptions. I want to make more regular blog posts as that, at least, makes me write the research up. I also want to make sure I watch as many Legacy FamilyTree Webinars as I can now that I have a subscription for that too. So my goal ideas were regular research using research plans, so that I don't waste time drifting and not achieving anything, and tidying up and writing up my research. I often feel like a rabbit caught in the headlights. There's so much I could be doing but where to start? I love Amy Johnson Crow's WANDER idea, and I knew I wanted to make sure I was following that to give some structure to my research. It was then that I realised my genealogy goals could fit under these headings.


WANDER

Genealogy Goals 2021

What do you want to find?

Focus on a different branch each month.

Analyse what you already have

Review your tree and all the sources for that month's branch.   

Have you squeezed every drop out of the sources you already have?

Note what is missing

Create a research plan as you do the above step.

Discover new records

20 minutes of research for 21 days per month for 2021.

Watch Legacy Family Tree Webinars on any research areas that you are not familiar with or need a refresher on.

Evaluate everything

Update family tree and write up for 'story' and a blog post if interesting enough.

Repeat as necessary

Complete research plan for that branch until completed or the month is up.

Then repeat from step 1.

As it happens I only know 11 of my 16 great, great grandparents so I will have one *wildcard* in case I find out one of the missing surnames.


Genealogy Goals 2021

Surname / Branch to research

January

Povey

February

Fairbairn

March

Didlock

April

Southall

May

James

June

Mitchell

July

Mottram

August

Pitts

September

Mangan

October

Banks

November

Morrissey

December

* Wildcard *


No comments:

Post a Comment